Hello!

Derek Hansen (University of Maryland) and I (Marc Smith, Telligent Systems)
will be running a workshop as part of the Communities and Technologies
conference next week in University Park, PA. We have room for additional
participants. If anyone is interested, please email me
([log in to unmask]) or Derek ([log in to unmask]). If there is
sufficient interest by those in the DC or Bay Area we could potentially
arrange for a similar workshop closer to home. We are particularly
interested in reaching instructors who may be teaching social network
analysis or courses on social media in the Fall of 2009 and have a tutorial
we have developed to aid in that process. See details for the
June 24 event below:

Title: NodeXL: Social Network Analysis and Visualization tools for Social
Media
Date/Time: Wednesday, June 24, 8:30am through early afternoon
Place: Penn State University, University Park, PA

(See: http://cct2009.ist.psu.edu/index.cfm)

Organizers:

Marc Smith, Chief Social Scientist, Telligent Systems -

Derek Hansen, Assistant Professor, iSchool, University of Maryland -

NodeXL is an add-in for Office 2007 that provides social network diagram and
analysis tools in the context of a spreadsheet. Adding the directed graph
chart type to Excel opens up many possibilities for easily manipulating
networks and controlling their display properties. In this tutorial the
steps needed to install and operate NodeXL for
Office 2007 are reviewed. The NodeXL add-in provides directed graph charting
features within Excel, allowing users to create node-link diagrams with
control over each node and edge color, size, transparency and shape. Since
NodeXL builds within Excel, all of the
controls and programmatic features of Office are available. Additional
features of NodeXL generate social networks from social media data sources
like personal e-mail (drawing data from the Windows Desktop Search engine)
and the Twitter social network micro-blogging system.

Arbitrary edge lists (anything that can be pasted into Excel) can be
visualized and analyzed in NodeXL. This session will provide a walk through
the basic operation of NodeXL. Attendees are encouraged to bring an edge
list of interest. Sample data sets will be provided. To download the NodeXL
Add-in and slides, go to:
http://www.codeplex.com/NodeXL.