Hi Ian,

beside the already given suggestions I can recommend the following
material.

Merton & Lazarsfeld put a strong focus on the issue of homophiliy in
friendship associations, you should have a look at this exciting paper

Lazarsfeld, Paul/Merton, Robert K., 1954: Friendship as a social
Process, in: Berger, Morroe/Abel, Theodore/Page, Charles H. (ed.),
Freedom and Control in Modern Society. New York: Van Nostrand, 18–66.

also consult

Blau, Peter M., 1962: Patterns of Choice in Interpersonal Relations, in:
American Sociological Review 27, 41–55.

for statistical modelling those might be of interest

Yamaguchi, Kazuo, 1990: Homophily and Social Distance in the Choice of
Multiple Friends. An Analysis Based on Conditionally Symmetric
Log-Bilinear Association Model, in: Journal of the American Statistical
Association 85, 356–366.

Signorile, Vito/O'Shea, Robert M., 1965: A Test of Significance for the
Homophily Index, in: The American Journal of Sociology 70, 467–470.

Verbrugge, Lois M., 1977: The Structure of Adult Friendship Choices, in:
Social Forces 56, 576–597.

best regards
Jan

Jan Skopek, Dipl.-Kfm.

Faculty for Social and Economic Sciences
Chair of Sociology I
Otto-Friedrich-University Bamberg

Fakultät Sozial- und  Wirtschaftswissenschaften
Lehrstuhl Soziologie I
Otto-Friedrich-Universität Bamberg

Lichtenhaidestr. 11
96052 Bamberg (Germany)