***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Dear SOCNET members,

I would like to inform you about a new PhD position available in Utrecht. Please spread to anyone (especially in the Netherlands or willing to relocate) interested in new media and migrant (Moroccan) youth. One aspect of the mixed methods data collection process will involve the analysis of online social networks. See www.uu.nl/wiredup for more information.

Best,
Jeroen Moes

| Jeroen Moes | PhD Student | Utrecht University |
| Faculty of Social Sciences | Langeveld Institute |
Heidelberglaan 1, 3584CS Utrecht, the Netherlands |
| [log in to unmask] | http://www.JeroenMoes.eu |

**********************

The digital literacy practices of immigrant youth for the formation of
identity and learning networks (0.9 fte)

This project is focused on the analysis of the everyday digital literacy
practices of Moroccan immigrant youth.

While the past several years have seen an increasing amount of research on
the digital literacy practices of youth, within and well beyond the
Netherlands, relatively little of this work to date has focused on immigrant
youth and their productions and interpretations of social media (e.g. web
logs, Hyves, YouTube, texting, Twitter, gaming). This project will provide a
unique contribution to the field by developing ethnographic studies of youth
as they use social media and integrate it into their everyday lives in the
Netherlands. We are particularly interested in how digital literacy
practices are used to produce identities and learning networks. What are the
shapes and scales of new media networks for Moroccan immigrant youth? How
are these new networks changing, and how are they related to social networks
with longer histories (e.g., extended family, community)? How do networks
formed through practices with social media support the development of local,
national, and transnational identities? How do such networks also structure
new social spaces for learning? These questions are addressed in this
project through ethnographic research that will be augmented with other
research methods, including social network analysis and survey data.

For more information see:

www.uu.nl/wiredup
http://www.academictransfer.nl/organisaties/?adm_pin=00351&fuseaction=detail&Vacature_ID=B3KTUQY9