The 6th Conference on Applications of Social Network Analysis, ASNA 2009 (August 27-28, 2009, Hosted by the University of Zurich and ETH Zurich) offers a pre-conference workshop on the Analysis of Network Data via UCINET and NetDraw. The workshop is held by Martin Everett, co-author of UCINET.

The workshop provides a beginner’s tutorial on the concepts, methods and data analysis techniques of social network analysis. The course begins with a general introduction to the distinct goals and perspectives of network analysis, followed by a practical discussion of network data, covering issues of collection, validity, visualization, and mathematical/computer representation. We then take up the methods of detection and description of structural properties such as centrality, cohesion, subgroups, cores, roles, etc. Finally, we consider how to frame and test network hypotheses. An important element of this workshop is that all participants are given a demonstration version of UCINET 6 for Windows and the Netmap visualization software, which we use to provide hands-on experience analyzing real data using the techniques covered in the workshop. In order to participate fully in the workshop, participants should bring laptop computers so that they can run the analyses on their machines at the same time as they are being demonstrated by the instructors.

Please register for this workshop and/or the conference on our website no later than August 15: http://www.asna.ch

On behalf of the conference committee

Thomas N. Friemel

Thomas N. Friemel, PhD

Assistant Professor

IPMZ - Institute of Mass Communication and Media Research
University of Zurich
Andreasstrasse 15
CH-8050 Zurich

SWITZERLAND