From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Heather Sherman
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Tutoring students with disabilities--same limits as all students?

Hello all,

We are a small, private institution, and our tutoring center only supports specific courses, mostly introductory(100 and 200 level) courses.  In addition to tutoring all current students, we also work closely with our Disability Services department and provide note taking, and reader/scribe services, and tutoring accommodations.   Our disability services department does not do any tutoring. Our tutoring "accommodation" is most often additional tutoring or 1:1 tutoring, but it is limited to the courses that we support for all students.

Lately, I've had a handful of students registered with Disability services who have requested tutoring for higher level courses (beyond 200), and I'm trying to decide how to handle this.  Currently, I have tutors who are qualified and capable of tutoring the higher level courses, and I want to help these students, yet I'm not sure if this approach is sustainable or "best" for the center.

I'm interested if anyone has a similar situation, and how you handle it at your institution.

Thank you,

Heather

--

Heather (Sherman) Maynard
Franklin University

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information or otherwise be protected by law. Any access, use, disclosure or distribution of this email message by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is unauthorized and prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient (or an agent acting on an intended recipient?s behalf), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and immediately destroy all copies of the original message. Virus scanning is recommended on all email attachments.