A few years ago, because of budget constraints and the tutoring volume,
we went from an all appointment-based system for math tutoring to
drop-in. At first I was very concerned and apprehensive about what we
would be giving up.  I was very surprised at what happened.  The
students coming in for tutoring became less dependent on the tutors
because their time with the tutor was more valuable and there was less
of it.  Another twist, students began to come in and work with other
students while waiting for the tutors to get to them.  We were helping
students create informal study groups so that they were becoming more
independent of the tutors and more interdependent in seeking help from
other students.

We have continued to encourage this over the years. Students will often
spend hours in the center working on their homework, socializing with
friends and tutors and another phenomena is happening.  Some of our
instructors are also stopping by to see what their students are doing
(volunteering time before and/or after class).  The center bustles with
positive learning energy at almost any time of the day.  We may have 35
students working in our math center with only 3-5 tutors supporting them
because most of them are working on their own or with other students or
passing by instructors.  When they need help they simply raise their
hands.  The tutors do not simply answer their question, but take the
opportunity to help them at that exciting teaching moment.  We have
white boards lining the wall of the math center and it is not uncommon
for a question to spur a student to the white board and a whole
discussion led by the student and others pitching in their thoughts as
to the solution with the tutor there as support as they work through the
question raised.

We also have some small rooms that students and instructors can reserve
for study groups or review sessions and we find those being used more
now too.

As students enter we let them know that generally people sit from the
lower level math to the higher level math in our open math center.  We
also have a separate room just for the developmental math we call our
Math Lab.  Students taking Arithmetic Review and Beginning Algebra are
in there.  Those in Intermediate Algebra have a choice whether to work
in the math center or the math lab (most stay in the Math Lab) and those
in College Algebra and above, have no choice--they need to be out in the
math center.  The math lab has a higher tutor-to-student ratio,
manipulatives, less noise, less distractions, more personalized attention.

Our Writing Center in the LSC is the only thing we still have for
appointments--which works well for it.  Everything else is now drop-in.
I don't know if this will work in your situation John. I know you said
walk-in, rather than drop-in, and you mentioned signs in the tutorial
rooms which sounded different than a central area, so it may be very
different than what I was describing. I just wanted to share how I was
pleasantly surprised at how a change we dreaded but made, evolved into
something great. We used to strive for it to be a quiet space, but now
we enjoy the buzz of conversations and shared enthusiasm of students and
tutors.

Thanks.
Rick Sheets
http://www.pvc.maricopa.edu/lsc/