I have been happy with using the VARK Inventory as a quick tool for
students to understand their learning style.  The inventory may be taken
online at:

http://www.vark-learn.com/english/

If you do not have access to computers for your workshop, there is a
version you can print out.  It is easy to take - a little trickier to
score.  If you have others helping with your workshop - they may assist
students with the scoring.

Part of the reason I like this version is that the web site includes a
series of helpsheets that apply to each learning style - Visual, Aural,
Read/Write and Kinesthetic.  These helpsheets show students what they
need to do to learn most efficiently and to adapt to an instructor's
teaching style.

There are many learning style inventories but my instructors continue to
use this one for incoming first year students.  It elicits good
discussion.

Marlene F. Atkins
Academic Director of Transitional Studies
The Illinois Institute of Art - Chicago
350 N. Orleans
Chicago, IL 60654-1593
312-777-8663