Hey everyone,

I spent the entire day at Port Canaveral's Jetty Park with my girlfriend and her family.  We were there to witness the postponed shuttle launch, but we still had a very nice, no rain day.  I got away and did a little birding during the day.  I didn't see anything too astounding, but it was nice just to be out birding (it's been awhile!) and I also hadn't posted in awhile, so I thought I'd let you all know that I didn't die:

Brown Pelican

Double-Crested Cormorant

Anhinga (1 high-soaring bird)

Great Egret

Snowy Egret

Little Blue Heron

Reddish Egret (1)

White Ibis

Black Vulture

Turkey Vulture

Osprey

Willet (only 1)

Ruddy Turnstone (1 on the jetty in mid-afternoon; at about 6:30, a group of 12-13 flew in from the north and landed on the jetty)

Laughing Gull

Ring-Billed Gull (1, I think a 2'nd year)

Herring Gull (3, all 1'st year)

Great Black-Backed Gull (2, both 1'st year birds, one with a strange, splotchy, yellowish-and-black bill, but otherwise great for 1'st year GBBG)

Royal Tern

Sandwich Tern

Common Tern (1)

Least Tern

Black Tern (2-3)

Eurasian Collared-Dove

Mourning Dove

Common Ground-Dove

Fish Crow

Blue Jay

Northern Mockingbird

European Starling

Common Grackle

Boat-Tailed Grackle

House Sparrow

I was hoping for a frigatebird or a Gray Kingbird, but no such luck.  ALSO, through my scope at the end of the fishing pier, WAY far out, I could barely make out shearwaters on the horizon, wheeling and diving.  They were way too far out to ID, but they are there.  A strong wind from the east would be great to push them towards land!

Jetty Park is on the tip of Port Canaveral in Brevard County.

Good birding!

John Thomton

Winter Park, Orange Co.