Bob and I just found an Arctic Tern in worn juvenal plumage (according to Sibley) at Opal Beach, just east of Pensacola Beach. The bird is loafing with Black Terns, although there are Gull-billeds and Common Terns in the vicinity. This is the third area record of this species. Although it flew around several times with the group of Black Terns thus allowing excellent flight views, the group always returned to the same vicinity. This is Escambia County. I did get photos of it loafing on the beach, but they're not uploaded yet.

Directions: Drive to the main Gulf Island N. Seashore area between Pensacola and Navarre Beaches. Park at the north cluster of picnic pavilions and walk east about 2/3 to 3/4 mile. At this point, you should find mud flats and shallow tidal pools that extend eastward. It was in this area that around 15 Black Terns were loafing. The Arctic is with them, easy to spot as it's whiter and larger.

Lucy and Bob Duncan
Gulf Breeze, FL