Bird Island, Nassau Sound, Duval Co.  Five FOS Piping plovers were recorded in the sound this morning. The plovers were sighted in two groups but well distant from each other. An adult male, banded in the US Great Plains, was associating with an apparent adult female and some 500 meters distant, we found three more plovers including a juvenile banded with the Great Lakes scheme. It is most interesting that two, geographically separate, breeding populations were represented at the same time and place so early in the fall.

We also sighed our first juvenile Short-billed dowitchers, 5-6 Black Terns, increasing nos. of "peeps", but no Red knots.

Doris and Patrick Leary, Fernandina Beach, Nassau County