Thanks to the excellent directions given by the Duncans, I went from Tallahassee to Gulf Island N. Seashore looking for the Arctic Tern, which would have been a life bird for me.
I spent several hours there, and met Dave Simpson who was counting birds.
We didn't see the tern, although we saw dozens of black terns, skimmers, snowy plovers, Wilson's plovers, and my FOS piping plovers and gull-billed terns.
I saw a lot of birds, which made the trip worth while.
Weather was interesting--a storm with water spout occurred just as I got there.  That stirred things up a bit for the birds as well, I'm sure.
An additional note:  the area just East of the North picnic area/pavilions is a protected area for shore birds, necessitating a detour on the road before you can get to the shore on the bay.
Bill Phelan, Tallahassee