Hey everyone,

This morning I took a long walk around my fairly new Winter Park neighborhood, which included Mead Gardens and Ball Field Park (I'm not sure of the actual name - it's the park with the athletic fields and fishing ponds running along the west side of Denning, just north of Fairbanks).  I have seen and heard a Limpkin and Least Bitterns here, but no luck for these guys today.  This park is also the site of the famous Winter Park Sinkhole that was such a spectacle almost 30 years ago, for you history and geology buffs.  It's the pond right behind the businesses on Fairbanks and running right along Denning.

Anyway, there was nothing too unexpected out there birdwise today, but as others have noted elsewhere in Florida, there are a few signs that Fall Migration is getting underway.  This list is for the entire walk:

Wood Duck

Mallard

Anhinga

Great Blue Heron

Great Egret

Tricolored Heron

White Ibis

Turkey Vulture

Osprey

Red-Shouldered Hawk

Mourning Dove

Chimney Swift

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Great Crested Flycatcher

Loggerhead Shrike (walking south along Denning just before crossing the RR tracks on my way to Mead)

Red-Eyed Vireo (1)

Blue Jay

Fish Crow

Tufted Titmouse

Carolina Wren

Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher

Northern Mockingbird

American Redstart (1 female)

Northern Cardinal

Red-Winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Boat-Tailed Grackle

House Finch

This walk is in NC Orange County, north of downtown Orlando.

Good birding,

John Thomton

Winter Park, Orange Co.