Colleagues/

I am pleased to announce the addition of several major additions to the _Scholarship 2.0_ blog_

/Gerry

>>> Citation Distortions > Unfounded Authority

Conclusion

Citation is both an impartial scholarly method and a powerful form of social communication. Through distortions in its social use that include bias, amplification, and invention, citation can be used to generate information cascades resulting in unfounded authority of claims. Construction and analysis of a claim specific citation network may clarify the nature of a published belief system and expose distorted methods of social citation.

http://tinyurl.com/nj9gm4

>>> From Publishing to Knowledge Networks: Reinventing Online Knowledge Infrastructures

Abstract

Today’s publishing infrastructure is rapidly changing. As electronic journals, digital libraries, collaboratories, logic servers, and other knowledge infrastructures emerge on the internet, the key aspects of this transformation need to be identified. Here, the author details the implications that this transformation is having on the creation, dissemination and organization of academic knowledge.

The author shows that many established publishing principles need to be given up in order to facilitate this transformation.

Overview

1. Leveraging information technology for science 1

1.1. Motivation 1

1.2. Analytical focus 5

1.3. Objectives 7

1.4. Approach 7

2. Characteristics of scientific knowledge infrastructures 9

2.1. Theoretical analysis 10

2.2. Empirical analysis: Emerging knowledge infrastructures 34

2.3. Visions of scientific knowledge infrastructures 55

2.4. Synthesis 57

3. Structure of scientific knowledge 83

3.1. Objectives 83

3.2. Theoretical foundations 87

3.3. Object-oriented model of scientific knowledge 102

3.4. Elements of scientific knowledge 124

4. Implications 187

4.1. Feasibility: IS Cybrarium 187

4.2. Conclusion 196

http://tinyurl.com/l5a86b

>>>The Scientific Paper in the Age of Twitter / Walter Benjamin and Biz Stone

One need only to imagine what tweets, twoops, formal corrections, and comments might decorate these passages on PLoSOne today. Pauling, Chargaff, Avery, Meselson, Cairns, Donohue, Perutz, Franklin, and Wilkins would have had their say:

This structure has novel features COMMENT: YEAH! HYDROGEN BONDING, LINUS!) which are of considerable biological interest. COMMENT: FOR WHICH I WROTE THE CHEMISTRY, ERWIN FORMAL CORRECTION: IT’S THE GENETIC MATERIAL, YOU FOOLS!, GENES! OSWALD

It has not escaped our notice that the specific pairing FORMAL CORRECTION: BASE PAIRING A/T=G/C, ERWIN we have postulated immediately suggests a possible copying mechanism for the genetic material. COMMENT: LIKE WHAT? CONSERVED? SEMI? MATT COMMENT: MORTAL OR IMMORTAL? CAIRNS

We are much indebted to Dr. Jerry Donohue for constant advice and criticism, especially on interatomic distances. FORMAL CORRECTION: SEZ YOU! I TOLD YOU ABOUT THE KETO TO ENOL TAUTOMERS. YOU KNEW SQUAT FROM THE CHEMISTRY! JERRY We have also been stimulated by a knowledge of the general nature FORMAL CORRECTION: I SHOWED YOU THEIR PICTURES, MAX of the unpublished experimental results and ideas of Dr. M. H. F. Wilkins, Dr. R. E. Franklin FORMAL CORRECTION: YOU PEEKED, "DARK LADY" and their co-workers at King’s College, London COMMENT: OUR TWO FOLLOWING PAPERS ARE DATA, YOURS IS A LEAP, MAURY.

http://tinyurl.com/koh89f

>>> viXra.org: An Alternative Archive Of e-Prints In Science And Mathematics

It has been founded by scientists who find they are unable to submit their articles to arXiv.org because of Cornell University's policy of endorsements and moderation designed to filter out e-prints that they consider inappropriate. ViXra is an open repository for new scientific articles. It does not endorse e-prints accepted on its website, neither does it review them against criteria such as correctness or author's credentials.

In part viXra.org is a parody of arXiv.org to highlight Cornell University's unacceptable censorship policy. It is also an experiment to see what kind of scientific work is being excluded by the arXiv. But most of all it is a serious and permanent e-print archive for scientific work. Unlike arXiv.org it is truly open to scientists from all walks of life.

http://tinyurl.com/nhhv7u

>>> Rejecta Mathematica: Caveat Emptor

Rejecta Mathematica is a real open access online journal publishing only papers that have been rejected from peer-reviewed journals in the mathematical sciences.

http://tinyurl.com/cvapwo

>>> Reinventing Academic Publishing | 1 > 2 > 3 / James Hendler

Conclusion

It's time for us as computer scientists to take a leading role in creating innovation in this area. Some ideas are simple—for example, providing overlay journals that link existing Web publications, thus increasing the visibility (and therefore impact) of research that cuts across fields. [snip]

In my next column, I'll discuss current ideas regarding new technologies for academic communication that we as a field might be able to help bring into being, and some of the obstacles thereto.

http://tinyurl.com/mz23fy

>>> Reinventing Academic Publishing Online. Part I

While current computing practice abounds with innovations like online auctions, blogs, wikis, twitter, social networks and online social games, few if any genuinely new theories have taken root in the corresponding “top” academic journals. Those creating computing progress increasingly see these journals as unreadable, out-dated and irrelevant. Yet as technology practice creates, technology theory is if anything becoming even more conforming and less relevant.

We attribute this to the erroneous assumption that research rigor is excellence, a myth contradicted by the scientific method itself. Excess rigor supports the demands of appointment, grant and promotion committees, but is drying up the wells of academic inspiration.

Part I of this paper chronicles the inevitable limits of what can only be called a feudal academic knowledge exchange system, with trends like exclusivity, slowness, narrowness, conservatism, self-involvement and inaccessibility.

http://tinyurl.com/mq9r9x

EnJOY!

Happy Sunday/Monday/Tuesday !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor

Science and Technology Librarian

Iowa State University Library

Ames IA 50011

There Are No Answers, Only Solutions / Olde Irish Saying

The Future Is Already Here, It's Just Not Evenly Distributed /

Attributed To William Gibson, SciFi Author / Coined 'Cyberspace