Speaking of Auden, let me take this opportunity to recommend S. Tippins's
FEBRUARY HOUSE, a social history of a year-long experiment in group living
organized by George Davis and Auden in the lead-up to the entry of the USA
into WWII.  In this Brooklyn House lived Gypsy Rose Lee, Carson McCullers,
Jane and Paul Bowles, Richard Wright, Benjamin Britten et al.