For the past fourteen years, Youngstown State University's Center for
Student Progress - in Student Affairs - has provided an excellent
opportunity for collaboration with Academic Affairs.

Our Orientation Services invites faculty to sessions with first-year
students and offers a gateway to our Center.  First-Year Student
Services has peer mentors who also serve as orientation leaders and
work closely with academic advisors during registration.

The Center also provides Adult Learner Services, Multicultural Student
Services, Individual Intervention Services )academic coaching), Student
Tutorial Services, Supplemental Instruction Services, and Disability
Services as part of a one-stop success Center concept.  Last year we
served over 6,800 of our 13,000 students with 38,000 contact hours.

This model is in keeping with our mission of connecting students both
academically and socially with all our university has to offer.
Retention is viewed as everyone's job and faculty work with us to
partner for student success.  This arrangement has forged an excellent
working relationship between the two divisions.

I would be happy to share information regarding the development of this
model.  - Jonelle Beatrice

Jan Norton wrote:

>I think Academic Affairs is the logical place for learning assistance,
yet it's interesting that the Chronicle lists jobs in our profession
under Student Affairs.  Does anyone know why that is?  If we think that
should be different, is there a way to send a unified message to the
Chronicle asking them to change how/where they list the jobs?

Jonelle Beatrice
Assoc.Executive Director, Student Life
Director, Marion G. Resch
Center for Student Progress