Good Afternoon, Listers,

I agree that it is logical to be in Academic Affairs.  However, my
experience has been that Student Affairs is sometimes a much better
place for professional respect and financial support than Academic
Affairs.  Years ago when I was the Learning Center director at Cornell
University, we were in Student and Academic Services (really Student
Affairs).  Our faculty decided they didn't want to be with housing,
dining, athletics, etc, and instead wanted to be on the Academic Side of
the University.  So I decided to investigate the differences by talking
with Learning Center directors who were in attendance at an AAHE
meeting. This was back in the mid '90's, so things may be very different
now.

What I found was surprising to me.  I found that those learning centers
on the academic side had budgets on the order of $10K - 90K, whereas
those centers in student affairs had budgets on the order of $100K -
$500K.  I've always thought that the reason was this.  On the academic
side (I know this is a sweeping unwarranted generalization!), the
tendency may be to provide funds for the "real" courses and academic
services, and not to fund services for those students who probably
should never have been admitted. So learning centers at the bottom of
the ladder.  But on the Student Services side, we're the academic unit
in the house, so we're at the top of the ladder.  Here at LSU when
departmental budgets were decreased due to budget cuts, our Vice
Chancellor shielded us from any cuts at all.

I think that we have great respect from our colleagues in Academic
Affairs here at LSU, but I's still very comfortable being in Student
Affairs, where the services we provide to help student adjust to the
university, excel in their classes, and graduate in a timely manner are
very well appreciated.

Just my two cents,
Saundra

Saundra McGuire, Ph.D.