Sorry for the late post. After good winds and stormy weather out of the west on Sunday, 9/13, I checked out Central Park in Ormond Beach, Volusia County. There was a large number of Red-eyed Vireos moving through and only a few species of warblers. Monday morning, 9/14, I stopped by Buschman Park and Sugar Mill Gardens in Port Orange, Volusia County to see if more of the migrants were lingering. At Buschman Park there were dozens of Red-eyed Vireos and a scattering of warblers. I went over to Sugar Mil Gardens and found dozens more Red-eyed Vireos, but then a beautiful male Blackburnian Warbler and a female Cerulean Warbler. There was also a female Summer Tanager, lots of American Redstarts, Black and White Warblers, loads of Parula Warblers, Yellow-throated Warbler, and an Ovenbird. There were also several Ruby-throated Hummingbirds.

I then headed to New Smryna Beach for a Piping Plover survey. We only found two Piping Plovers, but there were large numbers of Common Terns - 104 at Ponce de Leon Inlet.  Today, 9/15, there were again 75+ Common Terns on the beach just north of the north jetty in Ponce Inlet.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet