Yesterday, I spotted a young male Rufous/Allen's in my Valrico yard while I
was walking through it with a reporter for the Brandon Section of the Tampa
Tribune. She's going to be writing about my yard and its hummingbirds in an
upcoming column. We both got good looks at him but not any photos. The
rufous rump stood out along with the black tipped pointed tail feathers. The
back was still green enough to not rule out an Allen's. He had some of his
gorget grown in but I don't really remember what part. I believe he had a
couple of gorget feather s in just below the right eye. Unfortunately, I
have not been able to find him again.

I'm routinely seeing at least 5 Ruby-throateds every day. Not much in the
way of other migrants passing through the neighborhood.

Steve Backes

Valrico, FL

http://mysite.verizon.net/resu64md/yardhummers/

http://floridahummingbirds.net/