Hey everyone,

Whenever it takes 4.5 hours to cover the entire place, you know you've had a decent morning at Mead Gardens.  Today was a lot of fun.  I arrived just after 10 AM, and the place was pretty active.  Most of the activity was centered around the picnic area, but also along the creek and the boardwalk, there were things to see.  The diversity was decent, but not crazy out-of-this-world.  Please keep in mind that I spent about 1.5 hours alone walking around the picnic area.  There was a lot to see, and of course I may have double-counted a bird or two.  These numbers are a ball park estimate:

Anhinga

Great Blue Heron

Great Egret

White Ibis

Wood Stork

Turkey Vulture

Red-Shouldered Hawk

Mourning Dove

Barred Owl (1)

Chimney Swift (lots after an absence of a couple weeks.  Are our breeders gone and are these northern migrants?)

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird (5-6)

Belted Kingfisher

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Eastern Wood-Pewee (1, by the creek)

White-Eyed Vireo (2, my FOF at Mead)

Yellow-Throated Vireo (2)

Red-Eyed Vireo (15-18)

Blue Jay

Fish Crow

Tufted Titmouse

Carolina Wren

Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher

Northern Mockingbird

Brown Thrasher

Northern Parula (7-8)

Blackburnian Warbler (1, very yellowish-throated female on the creek - I assume the same bird other birders told me about when I arrived this morning.  Thanks for the tip!)

Yellow-Throated Warbler (9-10)

Pine Warbler (4, picnic area)

Prairie Warbler (2)

Black-and-White Warbler (3)

American Redstart (15?)

Ovenbird (1)

Northern Waterthrush (2)

Common Yellowthroat (8-9)

Northern Cardinal

Common Grackle

House Finch

I didn't see or hear any Great Crested Flycatchers today, but I'm sure they're still around.  Also, I was expecting at least a few thrushes, but again, I didn't find any.  There also may have been a bird or two I missed in the picnic area.  There was a Tennessee looking bird that I never got quite on, etc.

Mead Gardens is in Winter Park, north-central Orange County.

Good birding,

John Thomton

Winter Park, Orange Co.