I knew that this was going to be a good day for migrants here in
Collier County after our first "real" front came through last night.
At my home here in the Wilshire Lakes Subdivision in North Naples, I
had a small mixed flocks of migrants around noon. The flock consisted
of one Summer Tanager, Northern Parula, Chesnut-sided Warbler, Black-
and-white Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Northern Parula, Red-eyed Vireo
and Blue-gray Gnatcatchers (several). Then around 3:00PM, I had a
couple of hours of free time so I decided to go down to Sugden
Regional Park to see what was about. Almost immediately, after
rounding the first turn (after turning right at the stop sign), I saw
an Eastern Wood-Pewee (one of more than 10 seen later on the western
side of Lake Avalon) and a Chestnut-sided Warbler hawking for insects
in a tree. Around Lake Avalon, there were scores of Barn Swallows
taking advantage of the insect life over the lake. In the flock, I
was able to pick-out one Cliff Swallow, seen nice and close as it
flew directly in front on me several times. The walking path on the
west side of the lake held many migrants. I'm sure I missed some
birds but in the 1.5 hours I spent there, these were the avian
highlights in no particular order:

Northern Flicker  x3
Scarlet Tanager  x1
Summer Tanager  >6
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  x2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  x1
Red-eyed Vireo  >12
Yellow-throated Vireo  x1
Yellow-throated Warbler  x1
Chestnut-sided Warbler  >8
Northern Parula  x2
Black-and-white Warbler  x1
Common Yellowthroat  x2
Magnolia Warbler  x3
Prairie Warbler  x1
American Redstart  x2
Tennessee Warbler  x1
Palm Warbler >6 (FOTS)
Hooded Warbler x1
Gray Catbird  x3

Also of note, when I left at 4:30PM, there wasn't one Barn Swallow to
be found! The myriad Laughing Gulls and Black Vultures were
"swarming" high over Lake Avalon. This was about the best mini-
fallout I've seen in Collier County in quite some time.

Good birding!

Vince Lucas
Naples, FL