Hey everyone,

I joined a bunch of birders for just after 9:00 AM this morning at Mead Garden to see what the cold front had brought birdwise.  After walking around about 3.5 hours, I then headed over to Leu Gardens to check out the situation there.  All in all, it was a fun day with GREAT weather!  My species for the day were:

*species that the birding group saw at Mead before I joined them at 9 AM that I didn't see today

Anhinga

Great Blue Heron

Great Egret

Green Heron

White Ibis

Wood Stork

Black Vulture

Turkey Vulture

Osprey

Cooper's Hawk

Red-Shouldered Hawk

Red-Tailed Hawk

Mourning Dove

Chimney Swift

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird

Belted Kingfisher

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Eastern Wood-Pewee (1 at Mead, 1 at Leu)

Acadian Flycatcher (1 at Leu - fairly large, obvious greenish back, whitish belly)

White-Eyed Vireo (none that I saw at Mead, but 7-8 at Leu)

Yellow-Throated Vireo (1 at Mead, picnic area)

Red-Eyed Vireo (a few at Mead, many at Leu)

Blue Jay

Fish Crow

Tufted Titmouse

Carolina Wren

House Wren*

Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher

Veery (1 at Leu)

Gray-Cheeked Thrush (1 at Mead)

Swainson's Thrush (2 at Mead)

Gray Catbird (1 at Leu, and the group had at least one before I arrived at Mead)

Northern Mockingbird

Brown Thrasher

Tennessee Warbler (1 at Mead)

Chestnut-Sided Warbler (1 at Mead, 1 at Leu)

Magnolia Warbler (3 at Mead, 4 at Leu)

Black-Throated Blue Warbler (1 male/3 females at Mead, 1/1 at Leu)

Yellow-Throated Warbler (2 at Mead, 3-4 at Leu)

Palm Warbler (3 at Mead, 2 at Leu - my FOFs)

Black-and-White Warbler (1 at Mead, 2 at Leu)

American Redstart (5-6 at Mead, 12-15 at Leu)

Ovenbird (1 at Leu)

Northern Waterthrush (1 at Mead)

Common Yellowthroat (6-7 at Mead, 2-3 at Leu)

Hooded Warbler (1 male at Mead, picnic area)

Summer Tanager (1 at Mead, 4-5 at Leu, incl. several males)

Scarlet Tanager (3-4 at Mead, 1 at Leu)

Northern Cardinal

Blue Grosbeak* (1 male seen along the boardwalk that flew eastward out of the garden)

Indigo Bunting*

Painted Bunting (1 male at Leu between the historic house and the lake overlook)

Common Grackle

House Finch

Some misses that I thought were a little odd today were Northern Parula, Prairie Warbler and Pine Warbler, plus the Mead Garden Barred Owl.

Mead Garden is in Winter Park near the intersection of US 17/92 and Orange Ave.  Nearby Harry P. Leu Gardens (entrance fee for nonmembers) is in the northern part of downtown Orlando, near the intersection of Mills Ave. (US 17/92) and Virginia Ave.  Both are in north-central Orange County.

Good birding,

John Thomton

Winter Park, Orange Co.