Hello!
I have a question and am hoping someone can help.
In UCINet, I ran a Bonacich Power analysis. When I read Hanneman's
tutorial, he used .5 and -.5 beta attenuation factor in his
example. In the latest version of UCINet, however, there is a
button that figures beta for you. For the two networks I ran, the
program suggested +-.08, and +-.091. Can anyone explain this to
me? Why and how is beta configured for you? Why was my beta so
small? (My two networks have 123 actors each, but the beta values
were still different.)

I ran both the program suggested beta and Hanneman's .5 example
beta. The .5 beta gave mostly negative values both for power and
when normalized. The .08 beta gave very large values, in the
thousands. But, the values with the .08 beta better represent the
different centralities that I would expect from these actors.

Thank you for your help!
Ava Lasseter

--
Ava Lasseter