Dear all:

My colleague, Lin Ostrom, is also very network-friendly.
She invited me to talk to her Workshop soon after I arrived on campus
in 2004, and
	has been a tremendous supporter of network science on campus.

I just heard a bit of an interview with her on NPR hourly news ... she
talked about how she was discouraged in school
	from taking courses such as calculus and algebra, since she would
never have an academic
	career, certainly not one in the quantitative social sciences!
What follows is a blurb from my Provost, extolling Lin.

She is very deserving of this honor;  I have been thrilled, since
arriving here in 2004, to have her as
	a friendly colleague.

SW

******************

Dear Colleagues,

Many of you have likely heard of todayís exciting announcement that
Elinor Ostrom, the Arthur F. Bentley Professor of Political Science
and Professor of Public and Environmental Affairs at Indiana
University, has been named the co-recipient of the 2009 Nobel Prize
for Economics.

On behalf of the Bloomington campus, I offer heartfelt congratulations
to Lin for this extraordinary honor.

The Bloomington campus has been extremely fortunate to have had the
benefit of Linís outstanding work as a teacher, researcher, advisor,
and administrator for more than four decades.  We have long recognized
that she is one of the world's preeminent social scientists and a
pioneering, influential scholar.

She has launched institutions that have shaped the research careers of
many social scientists, notably, IUís Workshop in Political Theory and
Policy Analysis, which she co-founded in 1973 with her husband Vincent
Ostrom.

Lin was instrumental in establishing the commons as a new field for
investigation. The field has matured remarkably over the last 20-30
years and Lin has been the driving force behind its growth. Her book,
Governing the Commons, dispelled the conventional wisdom about
managing common property.

Boards, journals, and advisory groups around the world clamor for
Linís leadership, her judgment, and her expertise.

Becoming the first woman to receive the Nobel Prize for Economics is a
capstone on Linís trailblazing career. The honor brings reflected
glory to our campus community and the state of Indiana.

All of us at Indiana University Bloomington are honored to have Elinor
Ostrom as a colleague.

Sincerely,

Karen Hanson
Provost and Executive Vice President