  From: Bernie Hogan<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  Sent: Monday, October 26, 2009 5:23 PM
  Subject: Re: [SOCNET] Social Circle

  *****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org<http://www.insna.org/>  *****

  The earliest mention I can think of is Georg Simmel.

  It is known as the The web of group affiliations in English, but the
  original is Die Kreuzung Sozialer Kreise or "The Intersecting Social
  Circles". It is also obvious within the book as he talks about social
  circles as being concentric in pre-modern societies and partially
  overlapping in modern ones.

  Take care,
  BERNiE

  Bernie Hogan
  Research Fellow, Oxford Internet Institute
  University of Oxford