From: Bernie Hogan
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2009 5:23 PM
Subject: Re: [SOCNET] Social Circle

The earliest mention I can think of is Georg Simmel.

It is known as the The web of group affiliations in English, but the
original is Die Kreuzung Sozialer Kreise or "The Intersecting Social
Circles". It is also obvious within the book as he talks about social
circles as being concentric in pre-modern societies and partially
overlapping in modern ones.

Take care,
BERNiE

Bernie Hogan
Research Fellow, Oxford Internet Institute
University of Oxford