Hi everyone,
I wanted to let you all know about an upcoming pelagic trip on Sunday,
Nov. 15 through the "Friends of the Marine Science Center." We will head
out from New Smyrna Beach, and out Ponce de Leon Inlet to the Gulf
Stream - about 40 miles out. The trip runs from 6 a.m. - 6 p.m. Below is
a summary of the trip. For complete details, costs, and to register
contact Michael Brothers at the Marine Science Center, Ponce Inlet at
We need 45 people to make the trip a go. I look forward to hearing from
you. Thanks Barbara for letting me post this.
Best wishes,
Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet

Pelagic Birding Trip with the Marine Science Center
November 15, 2009

The Friends of the Marine Science Center in Ponce Inlet is sponsoring a
pelagic birding trip on Sunday, November 15, 2009.

The trip will head out from the New Smyrna side of the Inlet to “The
Steeples” -- an area of sea mounts and upwellings on the western edge
of the Gulf Stream. This trip holds the probability of encountering
numerous pelagic species. Jaeger migration should be active.

Potential Species include (* = good probability):
Common Loon*
Cory’s Shearwater *
Greater Shearwater *
Sooty Shearwater
Audubon’s Shearwater *
Manx Shearwater *
Wilson’s Storm Petrel *
Leach’s Storm-Petrel *
Band-rumped Storm-Petrel
Northern Fulmar
Northern Gannet *
Red-billed Tropicbird  (Seen on Nov. 2007 trip)
White-tailed Tropicbird
Red Phalarope *
Red-necked Phalarope *
Pomarine Jaeger *
Parasitic Jaeger *
Long-tailed Jaeger  (Seen on Nov. 2007 trip)
Sooty Tern
Bridled Tern *
Brown Noddy
Sabine’s Gull
Black-legged Kittiwake
Black Scoter *
White-winged Scoter
Surf Scoter *

The trip will be aboard “The Pastime Princess” a 100-foot,
all-aluminum boat with excellent observation areas on the upper deck and
bow and even a nice stern seating area. The trip will depart at 6:00
a.m. and return at 6:00 pm.

To sign up please contact:
Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center