From: Bill Pranty
Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2009 1:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BRDBRAIN] More on the Merritt Island flamingo

Good afternoon all,'

Bruce Anderson pointed out that the Merritt Island flamingo seems to be a Lesser Flamingo (Phoeniconaias minor), and I agree. I looked at the Sibley Guide. which didn't show black primaries on Lesser, and quickly dismissed that species -- my bad. Googling Lesser Flamingo gives numerous photos that show black primaries.

Since Lesser Flamingos are from Africa and Asia, this is an escapee; the color-band proves that.

I searched the International Species Information System (www.isis.org) and found that 19 Lesser Flamingos are captive at Disney's Animal Kingdom and 10 others are at the Jacksonville Zoo. There are 8 at Chehaw Wild Animal Park at Albany. Georgia.

Even though the birtd is an escapee, it's worth noting; the Merritt Island bird represents the first Lesser Flamingo reported outside of captivity in Florida, and since it was photographed, it's also the first record.

Best regards,

Bill Pranty
Bayonet Point, Florida

Hotmail® has ever-growing storage! Don’t worry about storage limits. Check it out. To subscribe, unsubscribe or view archives of the brdbrain listserv list, please visit us on the web at: http://listserv.admin.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html To set to no mail: send a message "SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL" to [log in to unmask] Report any problems to the listserv administrator: [log in to unmask] ____________________________________________________________________________