Hey everyone,

I had a fun morning and early afternoon birding at Leu, then Mead Gardens today.  Most of the warbler activity was at Leu, but Mead had its share of migrants, too.  I did miss a few birds reported to me by Dexter Richardson due to my decision to bird Leu first.  I guess you can't win them all:

Eastern Wood-Pewee

PHILADELPHIA VIREO (1, according to Dexter, in the SW portion of the park in the Trumpet-creeper-covered pine near near the bike path)

Indigo Bunting

Painted Bunting

I did, however, encounter a good number of birds today, both in species diversity and fairly decent in numbers:

Wood Duck

Anhinga

Great Blue Heron

Great Egret

Wood Stork

Black Vulture

Bald Eagle (1 - soaring over Leu)

Cooper's Hawk (2 - both at Mead, one almost catching a Red-Bellied Woodpecker)

Red-Shouldered Hawk

Red-Tailed Hawk

Mourning Dove

Barred Owl (1 - Mead)

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird

Belted Kingfisher

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Empidonax sp. (1 - Leu, definitely from the larger group: Acadian, Willow, Alder, but too high up and poor light to judge much else)

White-Eyed Vireo (6-7 - Leu; 2-3 - Mead)

Red-Eyed Vireo (10-12 - Leu)

Blue Jay

Fish Crow

Tufted Titmouse

Carolina Wren

Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher

Swainson's Thrush (4-5 - Leu; 2 - Mead)

Gray-Cheeked Thrush (1 - Leu)

Gray Catbird (4 - Leu; 1- Mead)

Northern Mockingbird

Brown Thrasher

Northern Parula (1 - Leu)

Chestnut-Sided Warbler (1 - Leu)

Magnolia Warbler (1 - Leu)

Black-Throated Blue Warbler (1 female - Mead)

Yellow-Throated Warbler (5-6 - Leu; 1 - Mead)

Pine Warbler (2 - Leu, neither one in a pine)

Prairie Warbler (1 - Leu)

Palm Warbler (1 - Leu; 1 - Mead)

Black-and-White Warbler (4 - Leu)

American Redstart (5 - Leu, including 1 adult male; 2 - Mead, both females)

Waterthrush sp. (I never saw it, but it's probably the same Northern that's been hanging out at the Mead Butterfly Garden area near the boardwalk for at least a month; I was trying to spot it in the bushes, but it got spooked by one of the Cooper's Hawks)

Common Yellowthroat (3 - Mead)

Summer Tanager (1 male - Mead)

Scarlet Tanager (2 males, 1 female - Leu, 1 male - Mead)

Northern Cardinal

Rose-Breasted Grosbeak (1 heavily-moulting male - Leu)

Common Grackle

House Finch

A couple of strange misses today included White Ibis and Pileated Woodpecker.

Harry P. Leu Botanical Gardens (entrance fee for non-members) is located in the northern portion of downtown Orlando, near the intersection of US 17/92 (Mills Ave.) and Virginia Ave.  Nearby Mead Garden is in Winter Park, near the intersection of US 17/92 (Orlando Ave.) and Orange Ave.  Both are in north-central Orange County.

Good birding,

John Thomton

Winter Park, Orange Co.