If you are a member of NCLCA or can find one, you can get the article from http://www.nclca.org/membersonly.htm.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jennifer Lindquist
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: desperately search for WG White article

Dear colleagues,

I am trying to locate an article written by Dr. White, "The Physical Environment of Learning Support Centers" (2004). Our institutional library hasn't had any luck, and I'm running out of time! Help! Our learning center is being relocated on campus, and while the space is much smaller than what we have now, my main concern is the open windows. Our new space will be located in the busiest building on campus with 3 big windows and a glass door that allows students, faculty, and staff to peer in at will. In fact, we will be located right near the front door so anyone coming into the building will have to walk past our door. Our building houses the food service area, so it is a very popular area on campus. I have been told our university president wants to keep the windows open to show "students in action" (whatever that means). Our president is a very capable leader who has made significant and positive changes since he arrived here 3 years ago, but I shudder to think about the!

  non-traditional student taking a developmental course who finally musters the courage to ask for help ... and we place them in a fishbowl and expect them to concentrate.

If anyone has any additional research concerning this issue, or can help me locate Dr. White's article, I would be most appreciative.

Jen

Jennifer Lindquist, M.Ed.
Academic/Retention Coordinator
Thomas University
TRiO Student Support Services
o:  (229)226-1621 x163
m: (229)672-0263
Virtual office - http://tinyurl.com/jenlindquist

 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."  Margaret Mead