Thanks to Mark Newman and Christian Pich for providing the following
answer to my question:

The simplest representation uses a square grid, with additional
diagonal edges one way across each square.  Thus the grid  element
(i,j) is a neighbor of:

 (i+1,j)
 (i-1,j)
 (i,j+1)
 (i,j-1)
 (i+1,j+1)
 (i-1,j-1)

In this way, enumerating vertices in row-major order (i.e., all of the
first lattice row, then all of the second row, and so forth), the
adjacency matrix of a triangular grid of n^2 elements (without
periodical suturing) is a matrix of order n^2, containing n^2 blocks
each-one of order n. Among all these blocks, the nonzero blocks are
the following:

(i) n diagonal blocks with 1s only just above and below the diagonal.

(ii) n - 1 blocks just above the diagonal blocks, which are starting
from the block position (1,2) and going up to the block position
(n-1,n) and each one includes 1s only on its diagonal and just above
the diagonal.

(iii) n - 1 blocks just below the diagonal blocks, which are starting
from the block position (2,1) and going up to the block position
(n,n-1) and each one includes 1s only on its diagonal and just below
the diagonal.

Best,

--Moses