HI Sam,

I have yet to find academic papers that are up to speed with what's
happening with practitioners.
Bryce Glass is a former Yahoo! working on reputation management systems,
i.e., how to create a system similar to Amazon.com's seller rating system.
Check out his work (including excerpts from his upcoming book) at:
http://soldierant.net/mt/mt-search.cgi?tag=reputation&blog_id=1

Bryce's site is a good place to start when thinking about designers of
social networking sites conceive of "reputation."  Also interesting is how
the corporate world is noticing reputation management. Businessweek wrote
about this:
http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/apr2008/sb20080430_356835.htm

I think these two popular sources might be fruitful from a discourse
analysis perspective. As for academic writings, I haven't found many that
are really meaningful, in terms of what industry folks are actually DOING.

Cheers.
Also Sam

--
~~~~~