From: Jana Diesner [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]; 'Kathleen Carley'
Subject: Call for Abstracts for Special Session on "Words and Networks" at
Sunbelt 2010

Call for Abstracts for Special Session on "Words and Networks" at the 2010
International Sunbelt Social Network Conference

We are organizing a special session dedicated to interdisciplinary, cutting
edge research that brings together text analysis and social network analysis
for the 2010 Sunbelt Conference. The conference takes place at Riva del
Garda, Trento, Italy, from June 29 to July 4, 2010. While text analysis as
well as network analysis have evolved into mature yet still quickly
advancing fields, work at their intersection is less prevalent. We are
looking for theoretical, methodological and empirical contributions that
jointly utilize un- or semi-structured, natural language text data and
relational data that denote interactions between social entities.
Presentations of innovative implementations of technical solutions that are
freely available to researchers are also welcome. The overarching goal with
this session is to bring together people who are actively working on
bridging the gap between text analysis and social network analysis.

How to submit an abstract to this session?

Submission deadline is December 15th.  Sunbelt only accepts abstracts that
are no more than 250 words long, no full papers. You can bring a full paper
to the conference if you wish. We are asking people who are interested in
submitting an abstract to this special session to contact us by December
5th. You can do this by simply replying to this email or by using the email
addresses below.

For submitting your abstract to this special session, please use the general
Sunbelt Submission page (https://www.insna.org/sunbelt/4_subabs.html).
Select "Words and Networks" from the "Session" drop-down list when you
submit your abstract. If "Words and Networks" is not listed there, add
"Words and Networks" in the new session field. To be extra sure that the
papers for this session will go together, put the name of the session and
the session organizers in the "additional notes" box on the abstract
submission form.

Abstracts submitted to this special session will be reviewed by the INSNA
organizers, not by the session organizers. The INSNA organizers decide on
the presentation format (20 minute talks or a 60 minutes poster session).

For any further questions about abstract submission please see FAQ page:
http://www.insna.org/PDF/Sunbelt/4_SunbeltFAQPDF.pdf. Additional information
on the 2010 Sunbelt Conference is provided under http://insna.org/sunbelt/.

Session organizers:

Jana Diesner, School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University, email:
Kathleen M. Carley, School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University,
email: [log in to unmask]
Peter A. Gloor, Center for Collective Intelligence, Massachusetts Institute
of Technology, email: [log in to unmask]

We are looking forward to your contributions.

Best regards, Jana

Jana Diesner

Carnegie Mellon University

School of Computer Science

Center for Computational Analysis of Social and Organizational Systems

Web: http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/jdiesner/