On Nov 18, 2009, at 10:28, Morten Friis wrote:

> Dear SOCNET,
>
> I'm interested in NGOs and especially internet-based volunteer-
> organizations (e.g. Wikipedia and open source movements). But I have
> had a hard time finding research on the social network in these
> kinds of organizations.
>
> Therefore I'm asking, if anyone has any knowledge of research about
> social networks in:
>
> -          traditional NGOs with volunteers

I'll leave this to others; I'm also interested in the question.

> -          Or, internet-based volunteer-organizations

There is really quite a lot of work here (most likely relating to the
relative ease of access to datasets).  We have a paper (currently
under review) which reviews much of this work (in Information Systems,
at least) high-lighting significant validity concerns, contact me
directly and I can share it.

Self promotion first (if you'll allow me :) you'll find a number of
relevant papers coming from the FLOSS project at Syracuse (see list of
refs at bottom of email):

http://floss.syr.edu/publications/

Then there is the work at CMU, including this piece:
Wagstrom, P. A., Herbsleb, J. D., and Carley, K. M. (2005). A social
network approach to free/open source software simulation. In
Proceedings, First International Conference on Open Source Systems
(IFIP 2.13), Genoa, Italy.

http://www.casos.cs.cmu.edu/publications/papers.php

There is a trove of papers using large Sourceforge datasets from Greg
Madey's open source group at Notre Dame:

http://www.nd.edu/~oss/Papers/papers.html

There is also the work of Nicholas Duchenaut, including his
dissertation:

http://www2.parc.com/csl/members/nicolas/publications.html

Two papers which use SNA techniques which one might not find in the
usual places for SOCNET types:

McLure Wasko, M., & Faraj, S. (2005). Why Should I Share? Examining
Social Capital and Knowledge Contribution in Electronic Networks of
Practice. MIS Quarterly, 29(1), p35 - 57.
Daniel, S. L., & Diamant, E. I. (2008). Network Effects in OSS
Development: The Impact of Users and Developers on Project
Performance. In ICIS 2008 Proceedings. Retrieved from http://aisel.aisnet.org/icis2008/122
.

In terms of Wikipedia, there is a growing body of work which I'm sure
others will elaborate on, but a recent contribution are these papers:
Kane, G. (2009). Its a network, not an encyclopedia: A social network
perspective on wikipedia collaboration. In Best Paper proceedings,
Academy of Management 2009, Chicago. Winner of OCIS best paper award.

Gorbatai, A. and Hall, M. Social Structure of Contributions to
Wikipedia http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~hos/papers/AndreeaGorbattai/AndreeaGorbattai.pdf

Best of luck,

James

http://james.howison.name

Wiggins, A., Howison, J. and Crowston, K. (2008). Social dynamics of
FLOSS team communication across channels. In Proceedings of the Fourth
International Conference on Open Source Software (IFIP 2.13), Milan,
Italy, 7-10 September.

Scialdone, Michael, Na Li, James Howison, Robert Heckman, and Kevin
Crowston. (2008). Group Maintenance in Technology-Supported
Distributed Teams (Full Version). Paper presented at 2008 Academy of
Management Annual Meeting: The Questions We Ask. Anaheim, CA: August
8-13, 2008.

Howison, J., Inoue, K., and Crowston, K. (2006). Social dynamics of
free and open source team communications. In Proceedings of the IFIP
2nd International Conference on Open Source Software, Lake Como,
Italy. Best Paper Award.

Crowston, K., Wei, K., Li, Q., & Howison, J. (2006). Core and
periphery in Free/Libre and Open Source software team communications.
Paper presented at the Hawai'i International Conference on System
System (HICSS-39), Kaua'i, Hawai'i.

Crowston, K., & Howison, J. (2006). Hierarchy and centralization in
Free and Open Source Software team communications. Knowledge,
Technology & Policy, 18(4), 6585.

Crowston, K. & Howison, J. (2005). The social structure of Free and
Open Source software development. First Monday, February.