Hi Sam,

There's an interesting paper from a few years ago by danah boyd which
focuses more on individuals and how they manage their reputation and
relationships with regard to friending (especially in early social
networking sites) - this may offer some interesting ideas.

boyd, danah. 2006. “Friends, Friendsters, and MySpace Top 8: Writing
Community Into Being on Social Network Sites.” First Monday 11:12,
December. http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue11_12/boyd/index.html

Best,

Alastair