Michael,

The last years I taught SNA in university courses and I used different methods/approaches to do that. From my perspective
the best way to understand networks is to study your own networks. My students had to perform specific tasks and they analyzed
their collaborative networks themselves. We used UCINet and Visone (visone.info) for static networks.

> Nonobvious ideas:
Software/Hardware
- NodeXL to analyze networks in Excel (www.codeplex.com/NodeXL)
- Condor (www.ickn.org) for the analysis of dynamic networks of emails.
- Social Badges to track their interactions (http://hd.media.mit.edu/badges/)

Projects:
- Social simulations in university courses (e.g. we simulated organizations in courses to study the self-organization of collaboration)
- Students organize a small conference to present their findings, listen to presentations of researchers and talk with other people
about network analysis (we did that last year: www.asna.org/konferenz)

Best regards,
Lukas

---
Lukas Zenk, PhD.cand.
Member of the scientific staff
Danube University Krems, Austria
Department of Knowledge and Communication Management

Lecturer at the Vienna University of Technology