An alternative is to use PowerPoint for illustrations, headers, and the like, and create a separate handout with all of the material Larry describes.

I often create three separate documents:  a PowerPoint slide show with illustrations (images and graphics), an outline of points I have to cover, and a handout (the latter with as rich a content as I can put together in time).

And Edward Tufte's publications are great reading (thanks for the reminder, Peter).

Fred