My wife and I made a trip to the area north of Clermont where the
scissor-tailed flycatchers have been seen over the past week or so.
Unfortunately we struck out on the flycatchers at about 2:20 PM.  The entire
stretch of Scrub Jay Rd was pretty devoid of birds.  We did see a flock of
about 25 red-winged blackbirds feeding in the weeds near the intersection of
Citrus Grove Rd and Scrub Jay Rd.  We had better luck near the top of
Sugarloaf where we located two very cooperative scrub jays that gave us good
looks from as close as 20-25 ft.  Unfortunately the lighting conditions were
so poor that our photos did not turn out well.  We then went to Ranch Rd in
Astatula to locate the Say's phoebe for the third year.  We found the bird
in its usual location about halfway along the cross fence in the field south
of the pole barn.  Other birds of interest were a flock of eastern
bluebirds, two pileated woodpeckers in flight over the field, and two
sandhill cranes.  Unfortunately the Eurasian collared doves outnumbered the
mourning doves 11 to 1.  A complete list of what we saw at both locations is
below.

Regards,

Larry and Diana Connor

Eustis, Fl

Location:     Sugarloaf Mt. vicinity of radio tower

Observation date:     11/22/09

Notes:     Windy, cloudy, and cool.  Thunderstorms in the distance to the
north.

Number of species:     5

Mourning Dove - Zenaida macroura     1

Red-bellied Woodpecker - Melanerpes carolinus     2

Eastern Phoebe - Sayornis phoebe     1

Florida Scrub-Jay - Aphelocoma coerulescens     2

Northern Mockingbird - Mimus polyglottos     1

Location:     Astatula Ranch Rd

Observation date:     11/22/09

Notes:     Windy, cloudy, cool.  Approaching thunder storms.  Rain began at
about 1525 when we were leaving.

Number of species:     9

Turkey Vulture - Cathartes aura     3

American Kestrel - Falco sparverius     1

Sandhill Crane - Grus canadensis     2

Eurasian Collared-Dove - Streptopelia decaocto     11

Mourning Dove - Zenaida macroura     1

Pileated Woodpecker - Dryocopus pileatus     2

Say's Phoebe - Sayornis saya     1

Eastern Bluebird - Sialia sialis     12

Northern Mockingbird - Mimus polyglottos     1