Jan, I hope you find the research you are looking for.

I wanted to send you a special note of thanks, Jan Heerspink. You were
my inspiration for my work with metacognition. I was first introduced to
the idea of metacognitive strategies for study skills at a NADE
conference concurrent session where you presented. You were citing work
by Nelson DuBois, but had developed a wonderful graphic to illustrate
the model.  I have never forgotten what you presented and the
connections you helped me make! Sometimes, we forget to give credit for
the for the impetus and ideas for the things we do, again, I thank you!
Your presentation was life changing for me!

Years later, a new colleague, Suzanne Aragoni, had just started at one
of the Maricopa Colleges--Chandler Gilbert Community College.  She was
following the current research of Nelson Dubois.  I talked with him and
realized that his research was moving him in a different direction  from
the one I was heading. I have not pursued it further, but have always
been thankful for his initial research and  your presentation. It was
for me, at the right time and place in my life.  I have lost touch with
Suzanne Aragoni as she has not been at Chandler-Gilbert Community
College for some years, but she may be another source for more
information on Nelson DuBois' work.

I have continued to adapt, expand, and apply the metacognitive model for
study strategies in new situations in tutor training. It created an
enthusiasm and I also saw similarities and connections between it and
research in learning styles and preferences by David Kolb and Bernice
McCarthy. I continued forward movement in applying metacognition as a
foundational component in tutor training and joined it with
constructivism.  They were theoretical foundations for my dissertation.
The metacognitive model also followed closely to the grieving process
and the the model of change.  It is a powerful model with connections
everywhere.

It is exciting now to be working with Dorothy Williams. She is letting
me build on her work and research in using the metacognitive model to
develop rubrics which identify student learning outcomes. I am looking
forward as the evolution continues.  More to come, I'm sure...

Thank you.
Rick Sheets
Learning Support Center Director
Paradise Valley Community College, AZ