Hello,

Here's one for you. I think one of the best researchers in this space is Jane Austen. And I say that with my tongue only partly in my cheek. Austen's books are all about the importance of maintaining your reputation in a dynamic, changing world where you are partially in control at best. BTW is there much overlap in membership between emint & socnet?

Matt

From: Sam Ladner <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, November 26, 2009 4:01:45 AM
Subject: Re: [SOCNET] personal reputation management online

***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** HI Sam,

I have yet to find academic papers that are up to speed with what's happening with practitioners.
Bryce Glass is a former Yahoo! working on reputation management systems, i.e., how to create a system similar to Amazon.com's seller rating system. Check out his work (including excerpts from his upcoming book) at: http://soldierant.net/mt/mt-search.cgi?tag=reputation&blog_id=1

Bryce's site is a good place to start when thinking about designers of social networking sites conceive of "reputation."  Also interesting is how the corporate world is noticing reputation management. Businessweek wrote about this:
http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/apr2008/sb20080430_356835.htm

I think these two popular sources might be fruitful from a discourse analysis perspective. As for academic writings, I haven't found many that are really meaningful, in terms of what industry folks are actually DOING.

Cheers.
Also Sam