Mark Goetsch, et al, see below. -j

Thought Leaders - Friends of Russell Ackoff

Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne's Enterprise Thinking Network welcomes friends of
our late colleague and mentor, Russ Ackoff,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_L._Ackoff

who died on October 29th in Philadelphia, only a week after hip surgery, as
reported in an In2:InThinking Network special-edition announcement.   A
number of Russ's friends, including his "guys" group from Bryn Mawr, will
join us to share stories from their collaborative efforts with him, and
answer questions and respond to reflections from those participants who knew
him from a longer distance.

For those fortunate enough to visit with Russ, they would have seen and read
this treasured letter from Peter Drucker, hanging on his wall after
receiving it on his 80th birthday;

"I was then, as you may recall, one of the early ones who applied Operations
Research and the new methods of Quantitative Analysis to specific BUSINESS
PROBLEMS -- rather than, as they had been originally developed for, to
military or scientific problems.  I had led teams applying the new
methodology in two of the world's largest companies -- GE and AT&T.  We had
successfully solved several major production and technical problems for
these companies -- and my clients were highly satisfied.  But I was not--we
had solved TECHNICAL problems but our work had no impact on the
organizations and on their mindsets.  On the contrary: we had all but
convinced the managements of these two big companies that QUANTITATIVE
MANIPULATION was a substitute for THINKING.  And then your work and your
example showed us--or at least, it showed me--that the QUANTITATIVE ANALYSIS
comes AFTER the THINKING -- it validates the thinking; it shows up
intellectual sloppiness and uncritical reliance on precedent, on untested
assumptions and on the seemingly "obvious."  But it does not substitute for
hard, rigorous, intellectually challenging THINKING.  It demands it, though
-- but does not replace it.  This is, of course, what YOU mean BY system.
And your work in those far-away days thus saved me -- as it saved countless
others -- from either descending into mindless "model building" -- the
disease that all but destroyed so many of the Business Schools in the last
decades -- or from sloppiness parading as 'insight.'"

-j

John Maloney
The Future of Networks
Mail: http://1id.com/=jheuristic