Dear Steve,

I'd also add the paper:

"A nonparametric view of network models and Newman–Girvan and other
modularities"

by Peter Bickel and Aiyou Chen in PNAS
<http://www.pnas.org/content/106/50/21068>.

They review some statistical issues in community detection, and
construct a framework within various modularites, including
Newman-Girvan, can be compared. They propose an alternative
"likelihood modularity" and show it has good properties.

The various latent space or latent class models may be also of interest
(see, e.g., <http://www.jstatsoft.org/v24/i05/>).

Good luck!

Mark