Marcel:
You can easily extract 10 or so metrics (size, density, reciprocity,
transitivity, clustering, centralization, etc) that you can compare over
time.  These measures, however, are treated in isolation. By using SIENA
or PNET you model them jointly so you understand whether transitivity
occurs (increased) given changes in  lower order metrics such as density
or reciprocity.  In these programs there are many metrics and
combinations of metrics to choose from.  See the work of Thomas Snijders
(Oxford) and Garry Robbins (University of Melbourne, Australia).
-Tom

Marcel Karnstedt wrote:

>Tuugi,
>
>maybe you already got off-list replies, anyhow... at least from a CS
>perspective, Leskovec's work is quite interesting.
>
>Specifically,
>
>Graph Evolution: Densification and Shrinking Diameters by J. Leskovec,
>J. Kleinberg, C. Faloutsos. ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from
>Data (TKDD), 1(1), 2007.
>
>and his thesis (with enough references)
>
>Dynamics of large networks by J. Leskovec. PhD Dissertation, Machine
>Learning Department, Carnegie Mellon University, Technical report
>CMU-ML-08-111, 2008.
>
>Evolution of networks can be nicely analysed from a graph generation
>pov, see this survey for a good overview:
>
>Graph Mining: Laws, Generators, and Algorithms. Deepayen Chakrabarti,
>Christos Faloutsos;
>

>Hope that helps.
>

>Marcel
>

>Tugsjargal Chuluun wrote:
>

>>***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org *****
>>
>>Dear Colleagues,
>>

>>I would like to learn more about measures and research works that
>>describe whole networks, especially the evolution of a network as a
>>whole.  Id be very grateful if you could direct me to some useful
>>references in this area.  Id like to document the characteristics of a
>>network of organizations in a certain industry and how it changed over time.
>>

>>Thank you very much for your help.
>>

>>Best,
>>
>>Tuugi
>>

>>Tuugi Chuluun
>>Assistant Professor of Finance
>>Sellinger School of Business and Management
>>Loyola University Maryland
>>4501 North Charles Street
>>Baltimore, MD 21210
>>
>>_