Dear Elisa Bienenstock --

Re. the DARPA Network Challenge
http://networksingularity.com/2009/12/04/le-ballon-rouge.aspx

"This is in fact entirely a computer science experiment."

Hunh?

Care to elaborate?

Recall this remark from a UCLA alumnus.

"UCLA has one computer science department, but 25 full departments of
biology (not counting medical school stuff). Why? Biologists are smarter
then we are. When things are bogging down, the best thing to do is to go
create a new department. To do creative work in computing, you must get past
what you think is normal. Write down the 20 things you think are true of
computing and try to demolish them." - Alan Kay

Also, BTW, remember economics is a social science. However, don't expect a
Nobel Prize for sociology anytime soon...

-j

John Maloney
The Future of Networks
Mail: http://1id.com/=jheuristic