***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Hello All,

I'm doing some work that requires me to evaluate the connectivity or cohesion of a network.  I have a network that has been broken down into several communities (using Newman Girvan), and I would like to develop a metric that will allow me to rank the communities by their connectivity or cohesion.  Ultimately, I want to determine which communities are the most likely to have information flow through them and/or to have a new idea/innovation diffuse through them.  I have some behavior data that I can evaluate the metric against once its in place.

Thus far, my focus has been on using the average path length of the networks.  I've read about some of the other measures for connectivity in Wausserman and Faust but I'd like some guidance from the group on how best to choose a method for measuring connectivity and whether or not there is anything outside of what is discussed within SNA: Methods and Applications that I should consider.

All the best,
Steve