Steve,

Steve Borgotti published an excellent paper on fragmentation and the key
player problem.  I have horrible internet, so I won't find the paper.  His
measure of fragmentation might be a good measure of group cohesiveness.
There is a ppt from Steve with the formula for fragmentation towards the
end.  I am sure Steve can give you a lot better ideas.  I think the
fragmentation is included in ORA and probably UCINet as well, but I haven't
used it personnally.

http://www.analytictech.com/essex/Lectures/centrality.pdf

Best of luck.

Ian McCulloh, Ph.D.