Carl:

Bob Huckfeldt and John Sprague included a question battery (below) on their
1996 Indianapolis-St. Louis study that asked main respondents to judge the
relationships between discussants.   I hope this helps.  While I'm not sure
if these data have been used by Bob or John, I coded them at one point and
there seemed to be a lot of viable and useful information there.  Given that
your survey is of a group that is more likely to have overlapping relations,
I'd suspect similar wording would work for you.

Best,

scott

>n1oa<  Now I'd like you to think about [fill nam1]'s

        relationship to each of the other people you have

        mentioned: [fill nam2][fill N1F1] [fill nam3][fill N1F2]

        [fill nam4][fill N1F3] [fill nam5]

        Does [fill nam1] talk with each of the other people you

        have mentioned at least once a month?

        <1> yes

        <5> no

        <8> DK [green]- DON'T PROBE[n]

        <9> RF [green]- DON'T PROBE[n]

        ===>

>n1p<   [green]IF NECESSARY:[n] Which of the people you've mentioned does
[allow 1]

        [fill nam1] [bold]not[n] talk with at least once a month?

        トトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトトト

        [green]PROBE IF NEEDED:[n] I need their first name, please.

        [bold][yellow]F6 - List of Discussants[n]

        ===> [specify]

--

Scott D. McClurg
Associate Professor of Political Science

(e) [log in to unmask]
(p) 618.453.3191