***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** RE: [SOCNET] network genie vs ona surveys (& anyone else)

From my experience I highly recommend Unipark (http://www.unipark.info/)

This web based software includes types of question displayed in Flash, that make it an entertaining experience for the users to answer questions about their social networks by dragging / dropping the names. For an example, see my survey at www.neurosurvey.net and skip screens until the "who do you talk to" page. To help me remove your records from real respondents, please put "test" or "socnet" in the first name and family fields of the first page.

A good compromise between pure paper/pencil versions and online surveys is the card sorting task, a sort of knowledge elicitation method. The respondent writes on numbered cards the names of colleagues s/he most often talks to, then the same respondent rearranges the cards according to influences, trust, friendship... and the researcher just needs to keep the original set of cards and write down the ordering resulting from each rearrangement. Sounds complicated but very easy in fact, and according to my testers, definitely the funniest moment of the face to face survey.

Hope that can help,

Clement

___________________

Clement Levallois, PhD
Rotterdam School of Management | Erasmus Studio KNAW
Erasmus University

Room T10-16
Burg. Oudlaan 50, 3062 PA Rotterdam
The Netherlands

tel +31-10-4082578 | fax +31-10-4089011
email [log in to unmask] | www.clementlevallois.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Social Networks Discussion Forum on behalf of Matt Moore
Sent: Mon 07-Dec-09 22:25
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SOCNET] network genie vs ona surveys (& anyone else)

Hello,

Has anyone used both these tools? If so, which is better for what?

Just a note on pricing. ONA Surveys is priced on time spent using. Network Genie is priced per ego in the network. That means that for a 1 month commerical project, if you are expecting to identify more than 25 egos, ONA Surveys would be better value.

If I was doing a snowball survey, I'd consider Network Genie's pricing model unacceptably risky.

But that may only be part of the story. What are people's experiences? And what other comparable products are on the market?

Full Disclosure: I know & respect Optimice but money has never changed hands between us. I do not know the team behind Network Genie.

Cheers,

Matt