From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Carl Holland
Sent: 2009-12-01 6:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SOCNET] Measuring ego networks

I am looking for suggestions as to how to measure, as accurately as
possible, ego networks. I am studying staff in a large organisation
(3000+ staff).

I was thinking about copying the single-name generator method that Burt
used in the 1985 GSS, but am confused as to how to use this for
eliciting alter-alter ties from ego. I guess that it is very easy for
ego to provide ego-alter ties with the "discuss important matters"
question, but how do you replicate this for ego reporting alter-alter
ties? It seems a little odd to ask ego "of those ties that you have
mentioned, which ones discuss important matters with each other". The
"discuss important matters" question is a good one, in relation to what
else I am asking ego's; I'd like to use it, or a slight variation of it
that would elicit more accurate data.

Any suggestions and/or references in this regard would be very much
appreciated.

I'll compile responses and post them up later,

Cheers,

Carl

SOCNET in the body of the message.