Hi Carl

We are conducting some interesting econet research and have expanded the data elements/feeds to beyond current literature. We are tracking most if not all network (digital) event activity, some content evaluation (DPI) and performing data feeds into an egonet ontology to determine interest, knowledge acquisition, workload, process management compliance, etc.

Maybe we can share some of our findings.

mb

From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carl Holland
Sent: 2009-12-01 6:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SOCNET] Measuring ego networks

I am looking for suggestions as to how to measure, as accurately as possible, ego networks. I am studying staff in a large organisation (3000+ staff).

I was thinking about copying the single-name generator method that Burt used in the 1985 GSS, but am confused as to how to use this for eliciting alter-alter ties from ego. I guess that it is very easy for ego to provide ego-alter ties with the "discuss important matters" question, but how do you replicate this for ego reporting alter-alter ties? It seems a little odd to ask ego "of those ties that you have mentioned, which ones discuss important matters with each other". The "discuss important matters" question is a good one, in relation to what else I am asking ego's; I'd like to use it, or a slight variation of it that would elicit more accurate data.

Any suggestions and/or references in this regard would be very much appreciated.

I'll compile responses and post them up later,

Cheers,

Carl