Our tutors are now unionized, so we have limited determination in
setting the floor of the scale.  We start at $10.02, with raises of
about 0.35 as increments tied to service and advancement through CRLA
certification levels.  This is not competitive with what many other
educational entities offer, including grant-funded employment of college
students to tutor K-12 students after school.

Dr. Gen M. Ramirez

Director, Learning Assistance Center
California State University, Long Beach
Long Beach, CA 90840